Procedures & Policies
View policy information by topic below, or download the Continuing Education (CE) Policy Guide.
See our Winter/Spring 2023 policy guide here.
Office Hours and Contact Information
Please don't hesitate to contact us for questions, concerns, or advice on course selection.
- Phone: 215-972-7632 (Please leave a message with an email address for a faster response.)
- Email: email@example.com
- Visit (for currently-enrolled students with approved proof of vaccination*): The Continuing Education Programs is located on the 3rd floor of the Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building. Enter the building through the School Entrance on Lenfest Plaza.
- Fall 2022 office hours:
- Monday – Thursday, 9 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Saturday - Sunday, Closed
* Currently prospective or non-enrolled students lacking approved building access per COVID regulations are encouraged to email or call with questions or to discuss course selection, as walk-in appointments are not available. Meetings via Zoom are available upon request.
ID/Vaccination Requirements for On-Campus Classes
To enter PAFA’s buildings and participate in on-campus classes as a CE student, the following documentation is required, per the directives of PAFA’s Office of Safety and Security and the Core Response Team for Pandemic Safety:
- All students must submit proof of full vaccination and at least one booster upon registration. Requests for exceptions for medical or religious reasons must be submitted with appropriate documentation and approved by PAFA’s head of security. PAFA reserves the right to refuse entry and enrollment to students who have not provided proof of vaccination and have not been approved for exemption. Enrollment will be withdrawn with fees for continued violation of this policy. See COVID-19 Safety Policies, below.
- CE students enrolled in multi-week classes* must present a new or updated PAFA photo ID card. Enrolled students will be emailed instructions on how to submit a photo to obtain new ID; returning students with a recent ID from a previous course may reuse the same card with an updated validation sticker affixed to the front. Note: Your PAFA ID confers school access and benefits for the length of your course(s), from the start date to the last day of your classes.
*Students enrolled in workshops or courses running one-week or less must check in at the Security Desk with proof of registration to enter PAFA’s buildings for the length of their course. ID cards and semester access privileges are not issued to students enrolled in workshops or one-week intensives. Students enrolled in online or off-campus/outdoor courses do not need a PAFA ID card.
COVID-19 Safety Policies for In-Person CE Courses
PAFA is enforcing safety precautions for in-person courses in order to minimize the risk of infection and spread of COVID-19. Note: These guidelines are subject to change as PAFA continues to monitor the public health situation and to comply with local, state, and federal guidelines. Visit the CE home page CE notifications or PAFA's Coronavirus Information Resources for continued updates to school and museum policies.
- The College has mandated that the COVID-19 vaccine and booster will be required for all students enrolled in on-campus classes, in PAFA studios, or using campus facilities for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- When registering, students will be prompted to upload vaccine documentation through the CE Student COVID-19 Vaccination Documentation Form. Proof of the full two-dose Pfizer/Moderna or single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccination plus one additional booster shot must be submitted. See Proof of Vaccination Submission Instructions for directions and more information. Students who previously submitted proof of both the initial vaccination and booster requirement do not need to resubmit their vaccine information.
- Medical and religious exemptions will be granted based on the specific circumstances of each request. Click here for medical and religious request forms. Students seeking an exemption should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PAFA reserves the right to refuse entry to students who have not provided proof of vaccination and booster and have not been approved for exemption. Proof of vaccination/booster is required upon CE course enrollment and will be reviewed for omissions, incomplete dosage requirements, and exemption requests. CE will alert students to incomplete vaccination/exemption requirements; however, continued violation of this policy will result in the withdrawal of enrollment with cancellation fees, per withdrawal policies.
- Per Philadelphia's move into the All Clear COVID Response Level, mask wearing on PAFA's campus is optional for all faculty, staff, and students. All members of the PAFA community are encouraged to choose whether to mask based on personal preference, informed by individual level of risk, and are asked to respect others' masking decisions. Please note that public mask recommendations are subject to change based on COVID case levels.
- All individuals must remain at home if they have a cough, shortness of breath, fever (100.4° F or higher), chills, muscle pain, or new loss of taste or smell.
- Students must inform Jimmie Greeno III, Vice President of Safety & Security and Pandemic Safety Officer, at email@example.com if they, or someone they live with, experience COVID-19 symptoms, or if they test positive for COVID-19.
- If diagnosed with COVID-19, students must remain off-site of the class and off PAFA’s campus until cleared to return. All other faculty, staff and students who had close contact with diagnosed students/staff must remain off-site/off-campus until also cleared for return.
PAFA will treat information regarding the identity of staff or students with suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 as confidential to the extent practicable and will comply with applicable laws regarding the handling of such information. PAFA is committed to providing a safe environment for our community. It is in the interest of those goals and out of an abundance of caution that PAFA obtains reporting information.
Contact Jimmie Greeno III at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns about health-safety policies or incidences. For more information about COVID-19, please visit the CDC website. For up-to-date PAFA information about precautions and opening plans relating to COVID-19, including any changes in PAFA’s usual operations, see PAFA's Coronavirus Information and Updates.
Payment, Withdrawal, and Refund Policy
Full payment is due at the time of registration. PAFA cannot prorate courses for late registration, withdrawals or missed classes.
Withdrawals must be made in writing via email (email@example.com) to the Continuing Education Programs office.
Fees are incurred for withdrawals at any time after registration (including same-day). See refund schedule below. The minimum charge covers fees incurred to the CE program by registration and credit card processing. Increased tuition deductions apply for withdrawals less than one week before course start dates and after courses have begun.
In lieu of a withdrawal before a course start date, a student may transfer into another course within the current semester. Payment of additional tuition must be made at time of transfer if a balance is due; there is no transfer fee. No further refunds are available for a subsequent withdrawal from the transferred class.
Credits are available on a limited basis when serious illness or injury prevents continuation of a class in-progress. Credits are not available for withdrawals prior to course start dates or for non-medical reasons. A doctor’s note or other documentation may be required. Credits may not be transferred to another individual.
Withdrawals for vaccine/booster noncompliance will result in fees according to the same schedule below.
Withdrawal refunds will be adjusted according to the following schedule (regardless of course attendance):
- Prior to one week before the 1st class: 90% tuition refund
- After the above, prior to the 2nd class: 50% tuition refund
- After the above: No refunds
Workshops (One- to Three-Day Courses other than Master Classes)
- Prior to one week before the first class: 90% tuition refund
- After the above, prior to the first class: 50% tuition refund
- After the above: No Refunds
If minimum enrollment is not met, a class will be canceled on or shortly after its registration deadline date. Students will be notified by phone and may choose to transfer into another class or receive a full tuition and fee refund. Please register early to help prevent course cancellations! Travel insurance is recommended for students attending from a distance for onsite classes.
In the rare event that COVID-19 or another urgent issue requires the cancellation of a course in progress, a prorated refund or credit will be issued to enrolled students for all missed sessions.
Academic Credit & Transcripts
PAFA is accredited through the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). PAFA is a member of the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design (AICAD).
Courses meeting contact hour requirements (30 hours minimum, not including lunch breaks) are available for 1.0, 1.5, or 3.0 undergraduate credits as marked. If taken for credit, you may incur additional coursework, and will receive a course grade and appropriate credit that will appear on an official PAFA transcript, if requested. For an official transcript, please submit a completed Transcript Request Form to PAFA's School Registrar with appropriate payment.
Changes in credit status (for both non-credit to credit and credit to non-credit) must be completed through the CE office (not the course instructor) by the following deadlines:
- Fall/Spring Twelve- or Fourteen-Week Courses - Prior to the third class.
- Fall/Spring Short/Condensed Courses (fewer than 12 weeks) - Prior to the second class.
- Summer Multiple-Week Classes and One-Week Intensives - Prior to the second class.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange changes in credit status and payment of associated tuition fees, if applicable. No refunds are issued for changes from credit to non-credit.
GRADUATE CREDIT (Summer Only)
The Summer Studio/Critique Program and designated Summer Session Courses are available for 3.0 graduate credits.
Professional Development Credit for Pennsylvania & New Jersey K-12 Educators
PAFA is approved to provide Pennsylvania Act 48 hours and New Jersey Department of Education Professional Development Credit for its courses and workshops. Courses and workshops are eligible for the number of contact hours for which they meet (excluding lunch breaks). Courses need not be taken for PAFA undergraduate academic credit to be eligible for professional development credit hours (see credit options and tuition pricing on individual courses). Educators electing to receive PA Act 48 or NJ Professional Development Credit should notify the Continuing Education Programs office when registering. PA educators must provide their six-digit Professional Educator Identification Number.
Access to PAFA’s classroom facilities is granted only to students enrolled in in-person on-campus courses, with appropriate ID/vaccination requirements, for the length of their courses. Students enrolled in online courses are not approved to access PAFA’s classroom and shop facilities.
- Students are required to use odorless solvents, i.e. Turpenoid. NO TURPENTINE.
- Spray fixatives must be used outdoors or in the 10th floor spray booth. No indoor spraying allowed.
- Please do not empty solvents and/or paints into sinks or trashcans. Use appropriately-labeled barrels, located near each floor’s utility sinks.
- Students are responsible for cleaning up after themselves before leaving class.
- Students may not touch, move, or place anything on/against the bases or any part of the antique cast collection in the Cast Hall.
- PAFA is not responsible for artwork or other belongings left in any PAFA studio or classroom.
- Students enrolled in sculpture or printmaking courses must abide by the rules established by the Shop Managers.
Complete information about the policies, procedures, and services offered at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, including general campus policies, expanded classroom regulations, disciplinary procedures, and sexual harassment and misconduct policies and resources is outlined in PAFA's Student Regulations and Policies.
By registering for a CE class, students agree to abide by PAFA's policies and regulations. Failure to comply with school policies and procedures may result in disciplinary action and possible dismissal with forfeiture of tuition and fees.
Inclement Weather & Emergency Closing Procedures
For closures or other updated information pertaining to COVID-19, please visit PAFA's Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Page.
The closure, delayed opening, or early dismissal of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts will be determined jointly by the Dean of the School and the Museum Director, with approval of the President. Such closing or delay would include the school, galleries and administrative offices. Decisions regarding the cancellation of special events and evening classes may be made later in the day. To find out if PAFA is closed or delayed, check one of the following:
- PAFA's homepage
- PAFA’s main number, 215-972-7600 – An outgoing message advising of a close or delay will be recorded by 6:30 a.m.
- KYW-TV (CBS 3) – Lists the school by name
- WPVI-TV (ABC 6) – Lists the school by name
- CAU-TV (NBC 10) – Lists the school by name
Transportation & Parking
PAFA is conveniently located near the SEPTA Market East and Suburban train stations, bus and trolley stops and PATCO Hi-Speed Line station stops. For maps and directions, please see PAFA's Visitors' Information page. Discounted parking is available at the Parkway Corporation Garage at the southwest corner of Broad and Race streets and at their outdoor lot at the northeast corner of 15th and Cherry streets. Wheelchair accessible spaces available on the 3rd level of garage and in the outdoor lot. Be sure to get your ticket validation sticker at the Security Desk at either building's student entrance for discounted parking rates. See updated Winter/Spring 2023 reduced rates for evening weekend garage parking.
Contact Continuing Education
Thank you for your interest in PAFA's CE programs. Join our community of dedicated artists of all ages and skill levels: Continuing Education offers exceptional studio art classes and workshops for beginner to advanced artists outside of PAFA's degree programs, available to both museum members and the general public.
Telephone: (215) 972–7632