CE Certificate Programs
For the serious student-artist, CE offers Certificate programs to enhance your technical skills and professional presence through a curriculum of focused study under the guidance of expert faculty-artists.
Whether seeking to boost your personal or professional studio practice, build a foundation for undergraduate or graduate arts study, or lay the groundwork for a variety of arts-related occupations, PAFA's unparalleled fine arts instruction will propel you toward your artistic goals.
- Individually tailored assistance in course selection. Call the CE office for course recommendations that fulfill program requirements and best fit your needs.
- Individual guidance and feedback on your progress. Enrolling in CE Certificate classes for credit means that students receive additional attention and assessments of their work in the classroom. A Faculty Advisor will be assigned to Certificate students for additional mentoring and critical advice.
- A flexible timeframe. Requirements can be completed in 1 - 5 years.
- Access to PAFA Open Academy classes. CE Certificate students may elect to fulfill Certificate requirements with eligible BFA and Post-Baccalaureate classes through PAFA's Open Academy Program. Initial Open Academy application requirements (other than portfolio images) will be waived for students already accepted to the CE Certificate Programs.
- Scheduled critiques with PAFA faculty. Receive feedback on your work and progress as well as helpful insights for future development.
- Access to student support services. CE Certificates students may participate in career workshops and counseling through PAFA's Career Services.
- A Certificate of Completion to commemorate your achievement.
- Online Exhibition at the conclusion of the program and recognition at the CE Annual Juried Student Exhibition.
- Complementary One-Year Alumni Membership.
- Each Certificate is composed of 8–12 CE courses, with options to fulfill requirements with Open Academy classes. Course requirements vary by Certificate–see program descriptions.
- Certificate programs culminate with an independent studio or other prescribed individual study program to promote personal interests.
- Courses must be taken for credit, which entails assessment for a grade based on attendance, participation, and quality of work. Grading requirements vary by course/instructor. Credits will appear on PAFA transcripts, available upon request.
- Critiques and meetings with an assigned faculty adviser are scheduled at regular intervals, based on the rate of completed courses.
- CE Certificate students must complete their Certificate course of study within 5 years of their semester start date. Resuming Certificate course requirements after this time limit will require reinstatement into the program by application and fee.