Registration for Winter/Spring 2024 Classes is currently available!
PAFA no longer requires COVID vaccination as of May 4, 2023, based on current science and City of Philadelphia regulations. However, PAFA and the CDC strongly recommend full COVID vaccination and booster shots for all students and employees who are eligible, including the bivalent booster. We will continue to monitor campus policies for COVID-19 safety and prevention, in accordance with local, state, and federal guidelines. (See Procedures and Policies for complete information.)
- CE Winter/Spring Semester: January 16 – April 15 (plein air and extended courses through May 19)
- CE Winter/Spring Registration Deadlines: Varies by start date – see course descriptions
- Open Academy Semester (15-Wk BFA Classes): January 16 – May 3
- Open Academy Registration Deadline: January 11
- CE Studio Rental Program: January 16 – May 3
- CE Studio Rental Program Registration Deadline: January 8
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, January 15: No classes, school and museum closed, no studio access.
- Spring Break, Monday – Sunday, March 4 – 10: Fifteen-, twelve- and select 10-week classes do not meet; most short and condensed courses run through break – see course descriptions. Studio access available throughout break for the studio rental program.
- Easter, Sunday, March 31: No classes meet.
Tuition & Fees
- Course tuition prices are as posted in course descriptions in the online catalog. Course tuition varies based on length, live/ Zoom contact hours, and asynchronous content on Canvas.
- Tuition rates vary for Special Programming such as Workshops, Lectures, Seminars, and Master Classes. Please refer to individual course descriptions.
- Full payment is due at the time of registration. PAFA cannot prorate courses for late registration, withdrawals or missed classes.
Lab and Material Fees
Please consult individual course descriptions for any applicable lab or materials fees.
Courses that incorporate the use of models include model fees—see individual course descriptions.
Locker Rentals (for On-Campus Courses Only)
Lockers are available on a first-come, first-served basis for $25. Locker rental is not available for weekend workshops. Lockers cannot be held, with items left inside, between semesters.
Registration and payment is available online via VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card. PayPal payment arrangements may be available upon request for international addresses.
Mailed and in-person check, money order, or cash payments may be accepted by special arrangement. Make checks or money orders payable to “PAFA” and mail to:
Continuing Education Programs
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
128 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Checks returned by the bank as unpaid will accrue an additional returned check fee of $35.
Please call 215-972-2029 or email email@example.com to register with payment arrangements by cash, check, money order, or PayPal.
Registration Information For Online Courses
Continuing Education is pleased to continue availability of online course offerings. In addition to the required art-making materials indicated for each course, students typically need only a computer other device with a high-speed internet connection to participate, as well as a means of photographing artwork to upload for studio/critique-based courses -- a cell phone camera will suffice. See detailed information for Zoom requirements below.
Online courses feature asynchronous instruction, allowing students to take advantage of posted course content any time of day, and/or synchronous instruction, scheduled for specific days and times via live Zoom videoconferencing sessions. Many courses utilize combination of these formats. See course descriptions. Standard courses consist of approximately 3 hours of weekly content, either Zoom-only or as a combination of synchronous Zoom instruction and asynchronous Canvas content in the form of assignments/feedback, artist references, and/or posted handouts or videos. Condensed Courses are comprised of a greater number of content hours over fewer weeks. Live, Zoom-only lectures or mindfulness courses may meet for fewer hours.
Note: It is strongly recommended that you add the pafa.edu domain, as well as the Canvas and CourseStorm notification emails below, to your list of approved senders in your email, to ensure that you are receiving all pertinent information and communications regarding your enrollment.
Asynchronous (Canvas) Online Instruction:
- Courses with asynchronous online instruction utilize Canvas as their online learning platform. Canvas allows students to view course content (video, images, text), upload homework assignments for instructor feedback, and communicate both with the instructor one-on-one and with other students via message boards. The course content is typically uploaded each Monday (or other designated start date), and enrolled students have 24-hour access to all posted content to pursue according to their personal schedule.
- Enrolled students will receive an invitation to join Canvas by their course start date. Emailed invitations will be sent via firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com. Please be sure to check your email junk/spam or "All Mail" folders and approve sender.
- Registrations shortly before the course start date may receive Canvas information the day-of, or shortly following, the first day of class. Usually this will not result in missed content: Course information uploaded on Canvas is available for the duration of the course.
- For Canvas instructions (following acceptance of the emailed invitation to login) see PAFA's Canvas FAQs.
Synchronous (Zoom) Online Instruction:
- Courses with synchronous courses utilize Zoom for live videoconferencing. Review PAFA's list of Zoom Technical Requirements for details about participating in Zoom courses.
- Course times are included in the course description. All posted meetings take place in Eastern Time.
- Enrolled students will be emailed instructions for accessing Zoom sessions via CourseStorm registration reminders two days before the course start date. Registration reminders/receipts are emailed via firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to check your email junk/spam or "All Mail" folders and approve sender. It is strongly recommended that students take advantage of the Zoom tutorials (included in the Zoom instructions, or via https://zoom.us) before the course begins.
- Registrations shortly before the course start date/time may receive Zoom instructions on their CourseStorm registration receipts or emailed separately.
- Zoom sessions may be recorded. By registering for a Zoom class, students agree to participate in recorded sessions; however, students may elect to adjust setting so as to ensure that they are not visible to other participants/viewers. Recorded Zoom sessions may be viewed later by students registered in the course, but will not be shared beyond enrolled students. Students are not to download and/or share class recordings.
- Please note: Faculty are not required to record or make recordings available to students; however, many instructors do provide this option. Students requesting recordings must do so from the instructor -- the CE office cannot provide a faculty member's zoom recordings.
Contact Continuing Education
Thank you for your interest in PAFA's CE programs. Join our community of dedicated artists of all ages and skill levels: Continuing Education offers exceptional studio art classes and workshops for beginner to advanced artists outside of PAFA's degree programs, available to both museum members and the general public.
Telephone: (215) 972–7632