New Online Courses & Workshops will be added on a rolling basis, beginning May 8. In-person classes, including landscape, may become available later in the summer. Check back for updates!
Please note that the CE office is currently closed until further notice due to COVID-19 health concerns. Registration is available online only at this time; phone, mail, and in-person registration options will resume when PAFA reopens.
Registration Deadlines: Summer 2020 registration deadlines vary by course. Please refer to individual course descriptions for more information. Register early to guarantee enrollment and prevent course cancellations.
Spring 2020 COVID-19 Cancellation Credit: Students enrolled in Spring 2020 CE courses that were cut short by COVID-19 closures were issued prorated tuition credit for the missed classes. Credit may be applied toward upcoming CE courses; email email@example.com to request a promo code to apply to your registration, or to request to have this amount promptly refunded from your current payment. Students who do not wish to apply the credit to upcoming courses may email the above address to request a refund via mailed check. Please allow 4 - 6 weeks for check refund processing.
Information About Online Courses
In response to COVID-19 social distancing advisories, Continuing Education is pleased to increase its availability of online course offerings. In addition to the required art-making materials indicated for each course, students typically need only a computer other device with a internet connection to participate, as well as a means of photographing artwork to upload for studio-/critique-based courses -- a cell phone camera will suffice. See detailed information for Zoom requirements below.
Online courses may be asynchronous, allowing students to take advantage of course content any time of day, or synchronous, scheduled for specific days and times via live videoconferencing sessions. See course descriptions.
Asynchronous Online Courses:
- Asynchronous online courses utilize Canvas as their online learning platform. Canvas allows students to view course content (video, images, text), upload homework assignments for instructor feedback, and communicate both with the instructor one-on-one and with other students via message boards. The course content is typically uploaded each Monday and enrolled students have 24-hour access to all posted content to pursue according to their personal schedule.
- Asynchronous Canvas instruction may be supplemented by live sessions via Zoom, the free videoconferencing tool, for lecture, demonstration, question and answer, and critique. One-on-one "office hours" will be posted where available, but may be adjusted based on students' needs. The Zoom sessions are typically optional.
- Enrolled students will receive an invitation to join Canvas a few days before the course start date, and instructions for accessing Zoom videoconferencing sessions. Please be sure to check your email junk/spam folder. It is strongly recommended that students take advantage of the Canvas and Zoom tutorials (included in the emailed invitation/instructions) before the course begins. Basic training for Canvas and Zoom will be made available at the start of the course as well.
- Registrations shortly before the course start date may receive Canvas and Zoom information the day-of, or shortly following, the first day of class. This will not result in missed content as all course information uploaded on Canvas is available for the duration of the course.
Synchronous Online Courses:
- Synchronous courses utilize Zoom for live videoconferencing. Review PAFA's list of Zoom Technical Requirements for details about participating in Zoom courses.
- Course times are included in the course description. All posted meetings take place in Eastern Time.
- Enrolled students will be emailed instructions for accessing Zoom videoconferencing sessions shortly before the course start date. Please be sure to check your email junk/spam folder. It is strongly recommended that students take advantage of the Zoom tutorials (included in the Zoom instructions, or via https://zoom.us) before the course begins. Basic tips for using Zoom will be made available at the start of the course as well.
- Registrations shortly before the course start date/time may receive Zoom instructions the day-of, or shortly following, the first session. Access to recorded Zoom sessions can be provided when available.
- Most Zoom sessions are recorded. By registering for a Zoom class, students agree to participate in recorded sessions; however, students may elect to adjust setting so as to ensure that they are not visible to other participants/viewers. Recorded Zoom sessions can be viewed later by any student registered in the course, but will not be shared beyond enrolled students. Contact Continuing Education for concerns.
While PAFA facilities remain closed during COVID-19 shelter-in-place restrictions, registration and payment is available online only via VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card.
Mailed and in-person payments will be accepted when PAFA's offices reopen. At that time, payment may be provided in the form of check, money order, or credit card. Make checks or money orders payable to “PAFA.”
Tuition & Fees
30 contact hours: $395 for non-credit; $525 for 1.0 undergraduate credit
30 contact hours for high school classes: $425 for 1.0 undergraduate credit or non-credit
36 contact hours: $495 for non-credit; $625 for 1.0 undergraduate credit
45 contact hours: $595 for non-credit; $950 for 1.5 undergraduate credits
Tuition varies for alternate course lengths, including Short and Condensed Courses, Workshops, Lectures, Master Classes, and other special programs. Please refer to individual course descriptions.
Full payment is due at the time of registration. PAFA cannot prorate courses for late registration, withdrawals or missed classes.
Lab and Material Fees
Please consult individual course descriptions for any applicable lab or materials fees.
Courses that significantly incorporate the use of models include model fees—see individual course descriptions.
Lockers are available on a first-come, first-served basis for $25. Locker rental is not available for weekend workshops.