Registration for Summer 2021 Classes opens April 19. Spring/Summer courses are online with in-person options for select outdoor landscape courses, following recommended COVID-19 health and safety guidelines (see Summer Policy Guide for details).
Please note that the CE office is currently closed until further notice due to COVID-19 health concerns. Registration is available online only at this time; phone, mail, and in-person registration options will resume when the PAFA CE office reopens.
- Summer Session 1 (May 24 –July 5): May 14
- Summer Session 2 (July 5 -August 15 -- Coming Soon!): June 25
- Registration deadlines vary for short/condensed courses, workshops, and Master Classes with later start dates. Please refer to individual course descriptions for more information. Register early to guarantee enrollment and prevent course cancellations.
Note: No classes meet on Monday, May 31, for Memorial Day.
Spring 2020 COVID-19 Cancellation Credit: Students enrolled in Spring 2020 CE courses that were cut short by COVID-19 closures were issued prorated tuition credit for the missed classes. Credit may be applied toward upcoming CE courses; email email@example.com to request a promo code to apply to your registration, or to request to have this amount promptly refunded from your current payment. Students who do not wish to apply the credit to upcoming courses may email the above address to request a refund via mailed check. Please allow 4 - 6 weeks for check refund processing.
Information About Online Courses
In response to COVID-19 social distancing advisories, Continuing Education is pleased to increase its availability of online course offerings. In addition to the required art-making materials indicated for each course, students typically need only a computer other device with a high-speed internet connection to participate, as well as a means of photographing artwork to upload for studio-/critique-based courses -- a cell phone camera will suffice. See detailed information for Zoom requirements below.
Online courses may have asynchronous instruction, allowing students to take advantage of posted course content any time of day, or synchronous instruction, scheduled for specific days and times via live Zoom videoconferencing sessions. Many courses utilize combination of these formats. See course descriptions.
Note: It is strongly recommended that you add the pafa.edu domain to your list of approved senders in your email, to ensure that you are receiving all pertinent information and communications regarding your enrollment. Canvas invitations will come from firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com. If you believe you are missing course information, please be sure to check your junk/spam or Gmail "All Mail" folders, and "approve sender" for any rescued messages.
Asynchronous (Canvas) Online Instruction:
- Courses with asynchronous online instruction utilize Canvas as their online learning platform. Canvas allows students to view course content (video, images, text), upload homework assignments for instructor feedback, and communicate both with the instructor one-on-one and with other students via message boards. The course content is typically uploaded each Monday (or other designated start date), and enrolled students have 24-hour access to all posted content to pursue according to their personal schedule.
- Asynchronous Canvas instruction may be supplemented by live sessions via Zoom, the free videoconferencing tool, for lecture, demonstration, question and answer, or critique. Zoom critique/one-on-one sessions may be optional.
- Enrolled students will receive an invitation to join Canvas by their course start date. Instructions for accessing additional Zoom videoconferencing sessions (if applicable) are included in CourseStorm Registration Reminders that are emailed two days before the first day of class. (Students registering after reminders are sent will find this information on their registration receipts or emailed separately). Please be sure to check your email junk/spam folder. It is strongly recommended that students take advantage of the Canvas and Zoom tutorials (included in the emailed invitation/instructions) before the course begins.
- Registrations shortly before the course start date may receive Canvas and Zoom information the day-of, or shortly following, the first day of class. Usually this will not result in missed content: Course information uploaded on Canvas is available for the duration of the course. Zoom sessions may be recorded -- please inquire if recorded sessions are available.
- For Canvas instructions (following acceptance of the emailed invitation to login) see PAFA's Canvas FAQs.
Synchronous (Zoom) Online Instruction:
- Courses with synchronous courses utilize Zoom for live videoconferencing. Review PAFA's list of Zoom Technical Requirements for details about participating in Zoom courses.
- Course times are included in the course description. All posted meetings take place in Eastern Time.
- Enrolled students will be emailed instructions for accessing Zoom sessions via CourseStorm Registration Reminders two days before the course start date. Please be sure to check your email junk/spam folder. It is strongly recommended that students take advantage of the Zoom tutorials (included in the Zoom instructions, or via https://zoom.us) before the course begins. Basic tips for using Zoom may be made available at the start of the course as well.
- Synchronous Zoom instruction may be supplemented by access to Canvas, PAFA's online learning platform. This service may be used to make available reference images or other content and to upload homework. Students enrolled in courses using Canvas will receive an invitation to join Canvas by their course start date.
- Registrations shortly before the course start date/time may receive Zoom instructions on their CourseStorm Registration Receipts or emailed separately. Access to recorded Zoom sessions can be provided when available.
- Zoom sessions may be recorded. By registering for a Zoom class, students agree to participate in recorded sessions; however, students may elect to adjust setting so as to ensure that they are not visible to other participants/viewers. Recorded Zoom sessions can be viewed later by any student registered in the course, but will not be shared beyond enrolled students. Contact Continuing Education for concerns.
While PAFA's Continuing Education office remains closed during COVID-19 restrictions, registration and payment is available online only* via VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card.
Mailed and in-person payments will be accepted when PAFA's CE office reopens. At that time, payment may be provided in the form of check, money order, or credit card. Make checks or money orders payable to “PAFA.”
*Exceptions are made for international registrations, as registrations cannot be completed online with an international address. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for directions for registration and payment by mailed check or money order or via PayPal. PAFA apologizes for this inconvenience.
Tuition & Fees
Spring & Summer 2021 Online and Plein Air Courses: Course tuition varies based on length, live/ Zoom contact hours, and asynchronous content on Canvas. See individual course descriptions.
Tuition varies for Special Programming such as Workshops, Lectures, Seminars, and Master Classes. Please refer to individual course descriptions.
Full payment is due at the time of registration. PAFA cannot prorate courses for late registration, withdrawals or missed classes.
Lab and Material Fees
Please consult individual course descriptions for any applicable lab or materials fees.
Model Fees (for On-Campus Courses Only, When Available)
Courses that significantly incorporate the use of models include model fees—see individual course descriptions.
Locker Rentals (for On-Campus Courses Only, When Available)
Lockers are available on a first-come, first-served basis for $25. Locker rental is not available for weekend workshops.
Contact Continuing Education
Thank you for your interest in PAFA's CE programs. Join our community of dedicated artists of all ages and skill levels: Continuing Education offers exceptional studio art classes and workshops for beginner to advanced artists outside of PAFA's degree programs, available to both museum members and the general public.
Telephone: (215) 972–7632