Scholarship are available for students applying to Summer Academy. All students who apply by the April 17 deadline will be considered automatically.
Thomas Eakins Emerging Artist Scholarships
Thomas Eakins Emerging Artist Scholarships are merit-based scholarships offering a discount on Summer Academy tuition. Scholarships are competitive and award amounts vary. Fees pertaining directly to residential services are not covered through scholarship awards.
Applicants who wish to be considered for a Thomas Eakins Emerging Artist Scholarship must apply by April 1.
All students submitting complete application requirements (registration form, portfolio and recommendation letter) by April 1 will be automatically included for scholarship consideration. No additional application form or materials necessary.
Scholarships are awarded based on a review of the required portfolio and art teacher recommendation.
Scholarship results will be announced by April 10 via emailed letter. Students who have not already submitted the nonrefundable $200 deposit will be asked to confirm their acceptance of the scholarship and participation in the program by submitting this deposit payment no later than May 1.
Charles E. Ellis Trust for Girls Summer Program Scholarship
The Charles E. Ellis Trust for Girls (The Ellis Trust) helps eligible young women in Philadelphia excel in high school and be prepared for postsecondary success. For girls attending public and charter high schools, The Ellis Trust funds a range of exciting and meaningful experiences and opportunities to help girls strengthen their academic skills, develop their character, perfect their talents and discover who they are and who they hope to be.
Summer Program Funding is now available. All expenses, including round trip travel, are provided through grant awards.
- Available to girls entering 9th through 12th grade.
- Recipients must be residents of Philadelphia and attend public or charter schools.
- Recipients must live in a household where one or both parents are absent, or mentally or physically disabled.
- Recipients must meet the family income eligibility requirements for reduced-priced lunch under the National School Lunch Program.
- Recipients must have grades of “C” or better in major school subjects.
- Recipients are making academic progress toward timely graduation.
- Recipients can prove their dependency status (name appears on their family’s tax return or DPA document).
- Recipients must be in a family that does not own property other than their primary home.
Students must submit the required application materials to PAFA for acceptance to the Summer Academy program first, in order to submit the additional application to The Ellis Trust for scholarship assistance.
Students should indicate on their Summer Academy application form that they are applying for an Ellis Trust grant, in order to withhold payment of the Summer Academy deposit. If awarded, Ellis Trust grants would cover the Summer Academy's deposit and full tuition.
For questions about Ellis Trust grants, please call 215-790-1666, ext. 444, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Steps Scholarship
Next Step Scholarships award $1,000 per year to all Summer Academy alums who enroll in PAFA's BFA program. Students must note their completion of the Summer Academy program on their PAFA BFA application forms for scholarship awards.
Contact Pre-College Programs
Studio art classes and education for high school students to develop their artistic passions and prepare for college.