Summer Academy 2020 is no longer accepting applications, the program is full.
The Summer Academy is open to high school students who have completed grades 9-12 by Summer 2020. The program welcomes talented young artists of varying artistic experiences who are dedicated to honing their craft and exploring the world of art.
For information on how COVID-19 will impact Summer Academy, click here.
All applications submitted by this deadline will automatically be considered for a merit-based scholarship.
Extended from April 1 due to coronavirus
All admissions decisions are rolling. Applicants will receive results within 2-4 weeks of all materials being submitted, including application, portfolio, and letter of recommendation.
Applicants must provide personal and school contact information, indicate their choice of the commuter or residential option and abide by the appropriate payment procedures.
Optional: 1 Letter of Recommendation
This requirement has been waived as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.
A letter of recommendation is optional from an art teacher or guidance counselor who is familiar with your artistic ability. The absence of a letter of recommendation will not be counted against an applicant.
A portfolio must consist of 5-10 images of your strongest, most recent work and indicate your abilities and interests. Please include examples of observational drawing (i.e. drawings made while looking at actual objects). These can include the figure, portrait, still life, interior spaces, landscape, and so on.
PAFA uses SlideRoom for its portfolio submissions. You can save an application in progress if you need to check or add information or images before submitting it. Once submitted, a portfolio submission cannot be altered.
Some things to keep in mind when submitting your portfolio:
- Image quality is important. A smartphone camera usually provides sufficient resolution.
- Photograph artwork with adequate lighting and a neutral background.
- Position artwork directly facing the camera—do not photograph artwork viewed at an angle.
- Be sure your images are in focus.
(Note: Applicants can use your SlideRoom account for future SlideRoom applications at PAFA and other participating institutions.)
How to Apply
- Make sure you have your teacher or counselor's email address for the recommendation letter.
- Use the online application link above to create an account and begin the application process. You will need to verify your email address to create an account.
- After submitting the form, a link will be emailed to you to begin uploading your portfolio to Slideroom, or use the link here.
- At SlideRoom, you will be asked to either login or create a new account. If creating a new account, Slideroom will email you a link to activate the account.
- Once logged in, from the Directory, select the Summer Academy for High School Students 2020 option.
Decisions are made within 2-4 weeks of all materials being submitted, including application, portfolio, and letter of recommendation. Applicants will be notified by email of admissions decisions.
How to Accept
To accept, you will need to log into the application portal's Self-Service Center and submit your deposit payment, which confirms your acceptance and holds your place in the program.
Contact Pre-College Programs
Studio art classes and education for high school students to develop their artistic passions and prepare for college.