Summer Academy is a four-week, college-level art-making experience for talented and motivated high school students at the nation's first and premier school of fine art.
Enjoy rigorous courses in drawing, painting, sculpture, and printmaking taught by PAFA's exceptional faculty of practicing artists.
Summer Academy participants have the opportunity to:
- Earn a merit-based scholarship for Summer Academy and become eligible for a Next Step Scholarship to PAFA if they enroll in the BFA program.
- Earn 4 college-level course credits
- Visit museums and galleries in Philadelphia, New York City, and Washington, D.C.
- Get a head start on preparing a portfolio for applying to college
- Participate in a culminating exhibition in PAFA's world-class art museum
Summer Academy classes share the same studios used by PAFA’s undergraduate and graduate students, including superb drawing and painting classrooms, top-notch printmaking and sculpture shops, brand-new animation labs, and the opportunity to study from masterworks in the breathtaking Cast Hall. Small classes of 12–20 students allow for extensive personalized attention in a close community of artists.
This rigorous program attracts students from the Philadelphia region and throughout the United States.
Students benefit from exclusive one-on-one portfolio reviews with the school's admissions staff. Summer Academy alumni who are accepted to PAFA's BFA program are eligible for a $4000 Next Step Scholarship ($1000 per year).
Developing Artists at Summer Academy
Contact Pre-College Programs
Studio art classes and education for high school students to develop their artistic passions and prepare for college.