One-Week Summer Intensives for High School Students
PAFA's one-week summer intensive courses are going virtual! Our talented educators are leading innovative online courses that are open to teens of all skill levels and backgrounds who have completed grades 8-12. These courses provide students the opportunity to develop and hone their skills under the guidance of stellar PAFA faculty.
PAFA has years of experience conducting meaningful, engaging online studio arts courses through our Continuing Education and Low-Res MFA programs. We utilize best practices employed by faculty and staff when PAFA’s BFA and MFA programs successfully transitioned to an entirely virtual practice in March 2020. As evidenced by the extraordinary work our students created from home in March, April and May, unusual times also inspire unusual creativity in our young artists.
Each course runs for one week, Monday through Friday, with live Zoom sessions scheduled between 9:00AM to 4:00PM (varies by class). Our planned programming includes training and mentorship by PAFA faculty, with demonstrations, discussion, small group sessions and one-on-one guidance using videoconferencing and learning management system platforms, for which students can still earn 1.0 college credit in for each course while exploring their artistic passion. Scholarships and discounts are available (see below).
Still have questions about virtual pre-college programs this summer?
2020 Course Offerings
June 22 - 26
|July 6 - 10||
|July 13 - 17||
July 20 - 24
|July 27 - 31||
|August 3 - 7||
* class is provisionally being offered in-person, with the understanding that the changing context of Covid-19 may require a transition to online learning
Tuition & Fees
|Tuition||$375 per week
May be taken for 1.0 undergraduate credit or non-credit
In recognition of the financial challenges facing many families, tuition has been lowered to $375. Discounts and scholarships are also available (see below).
If you previously registered at the pre-Covid 19 rate, you can choose to either make a $50, tax-deductible donation to PAFA or accept a tuition credit that you can apply towards another pre-college course. Please reach out to email@example.com if you have questions.
How to Register
Registration for 2020 classes is OPEN. Register for Summer High School Intensives online.
- Upon registering, students will receive an online registration or email confirmation.
- Materials Lists will be updated to facilitate ease of access, storage and safety at home. Materials Lists will be added to course descriptions by May 29 and emailed to registered students.
- All students must submit a completed Parent-Guardian Information and Consent Form (included on Materials Lists) before the first class in order to permit class participation.
PAFA Members at the Family level and above receive a 10% tuition discount! For more information and to join or upgrade your membership, view our online membership details or contact the Development Department at 215-972-2077.
Register for Three CoursesRegister for three or more courses and receive a 10% discount! This discount applies even if you are registering multiple students, and those students are not related. Consider inviting a friend or two to Intensives this year and everyone saves!
Combine these discounts to save 20% off your registration!
PAFA offers a limited number of full- and partial-scholarships for Pre-College One-Week Intensive Classes based on merit and need.
There are two types of Scholarships:
- General Pre-College Scholarships-One-Week Intensives: Open to all high school students.
- Maguire Pre-College Scholarships-One-Week Intensive: Available to high school students who attend available to Maguire Foundation partner schools.
Summer 2020 Application Deadline: June 15
General Scholarship Application Requirements
Completed online application form via SlideRoom.
Personal statement: 1–2 paragraphs explaining why you would like to attend pre-college classes at PAFA and why you are requesting scholarship assistance.
Portfolio of 5 digital images: Portfolios should consist of your strongest artwork and should include drawings or paintings from direct observation (as opposed to referencing photographs). Make sure the photos of your artwork are well-lit, not blurry, and show only the artwork (you may need to crop). A smartphone camera is typically sufficient.
Teacher’s recommendation (be prepared to submit your teacher's/counselor's email address on the SlideRoom application)Letter of recommendation requirement has been waived in recognition of the challenges faced by students and teachers as a resault of COVID-19
Maguire Scholarship Application Requirements
- Completed online application form via SlideRoom
How to Apply for Pre-College Scholarships
- Go to SlideRoom.
- "Login" to an already existing account, or “Sign Up” to make a SlideRoom account. SlideRoom is a free service.
- If creating a new account, open the email that automatically will be sent to you and click on the activation link. Log into your new account.
- Select "CE Pre-College Scholarships - Summer 2020 One-Week Intensives" or "Maguire Summer One-Week Intensive Scholarship" from the Directory.
- Complete the application form.
- Once all sections are completed, review and submit your application. You can save an application in progress if you need to check or add information/images before submitting it. Logout when finished.
Once submitted, applications cannot be altered. Be sure to make note of your SlideRoom login information: In addition to logging in to complete an application in progress, you can use this account for future SlideRoom applications at PAFA and other participating institutions.
Scholarship results will be announced via email. Partial scholarship awards require payment of the tuition balance due by June 21 in order to confirm scholarship acceptance and enrollment in the course.
If you enrolled for a Summer One-Week Intensive before May 15 and would like to make a change based on the updates to course offerings, we are happy to transfer your student into the class of their choice.
If you decide that an online course is not right for your student, PAFA is happy to offer a tuition credit for a future pre-college program or to convert it into a donation to help Keep PAFA Strong so that we can offer in-person art instruction again as soon as possible.
If the registered student is currently a graduating senior, the can request a full refund or to convert the payment into a donation. We also understand that COVID-19 has had an unprecedented impact on many families, so additional requests for refunds will be considered on an individual basis by reaching out to Susannah Fishman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Pre-College Programs
Studio art classes and education for high school students to develop their artistic passions and prepare for college.