The Youth Council is a free after-school program that offers interested teens a chance to create a prominent place for young audiences in the daily life of the museum.
Open to students in grades 9-12, the Youth Council offers opportunities for paraprofessional experiences within PAFA’s museum, including organizing events and programs for the museum’s expanding teen audience. Participants meet every week from October through May to explore the relationship between their peer group and art museums. They will have privileged access to PAFA’s art collection, staff and resources. In addition to creating, discussing and exploring art, they assist with planning and hosting events geared towards teens.
Additional program highlights include:
- Special access to PAFA staff and resources.
- Studio visits with practicing artists.
- Curating an art exhibition.
- Field trips to other cultural institutions.
- 1 year Family-level museum membership to PAFA.
Applications for the 2020-2021 Youth Council are now available! Please note: For the safety of students and staff during the Co-Vid 19 pandemic, all Youth Council meetings will take place on Zoom from October through December 2020.
For more information, contact Youth Council program coordinator Kristina Murray at (215) 391-4187 or by email using the form below.
The Teen LEAD Program is funded in part by a grant from the U.S Institute of Museum and Library Services, along with grants from the Hearst Foundation, the Arcadia Foundation and The Snider Foundation. Funding for the 2016 assessment was generously provided by The Barra Foundation.
How to Apply
- Applications are due Friday, September 25th by midnight—early applications are encouraged!
- Candidates must be a teen and currently in grade 9, 10, 11 or 12.
- Candidates must complete the application in full.
- Eligible candidates must complete an interview.
- Students will be notified of their status via email by October 2nd. No phone calls please.
- Candidates must be available Wednesdays from 4:00 – 6:00 from October to May.
PAFA offers programs for artists and art lovers of all ages and skill levels who want to learn about and make art.