Saturday classes present a valuable opportunity for teens to develop and hone their studio art skills under the guidance of PAFA faculty. Open to high school students currently enrolled in 9th - 12th grades. All levels welcome. Ten-week studio courses are available for 1.0 undergraduate credit (for a grade and appropriate credit that would appear on a PAFA transcript, if requested), or for non-credit.
- Spring 2019 Schedule
- Scholarship Opportunities (Note: The Spring application deadline has passed.)
- Registration, Policy Information and Additional Resources - information about academic credit, how to obtain a transcript
- Additional Course Offerings - high school student enrollment in adult Continuing Education classes
Students under age 18 are required to submit a Parent-Guardian Consent Form (Google Form) upon registering for any Continuing Education course. To request a mailed/emailed form, please contact Emily Owens at 215-972-2040 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: SPRING SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINES HAVE PASSED. SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR SUMMER ONE-WEEK INTENSIVES.
CE Pre-College Scholarships
PAFA offers a limited number of full- and partial-scholarships for Saturday pre-college classes, open to all high school students based on merit and need. A completed scholarship application may be submitted in lieu of the completing the online registration.
New for Spring 2019: PAFA Philadelphia Public School Scholarships
Two full-tuition scholarships with supplies included are now available to high school students enrolled in a Philadelphia public school who demonstrate financial need and dedication to their art. A completed scholarship application may be submitted in lieu of the completing the online registration. Made possible by generous donor support.
SPRING SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, January 18
HOW TO APPLY:
Scholarship applications for both CE Pre-College Scholarships and PAFA Philadelphia Public School Scholarships are submitted online via SlideRoom (see directions below). Applications must be completed and submitted in full by the deadline. Students will be notified of award decisions via email and must confirm acceptance and submit payment of the tuition balance to complete their registration for their selected courses.
Registration information and course selection (Students applying for scholarship assistance should register through the SlideRoom application in lieu of submitting an online/paper CE registration form. Space in the course will be held as "pending" while students await scholarship results.)
Teacher’s recommendation (teacher's email address required)
Personal statement (1 – 2 paragraphs explaining why you would like to attend Saturday pre-college classes at PAFA and why you are requesting scholarship assistance)
Portfolio of 5 images. Portfolios should consist of your strongest artwork and should include drawings or paintings from direct observation (as opposed to referencing photographs). Make sure the photos of your artwork are well-lit, not blurry, and show only the artwork (you may need to crop). A smartphone camera is typically sufficient.
SLIDEROOM APPLICATION DIRECTIONS:
- Click HERE to go to SlideRoom.
- "Login" to an already existing account, or “Sign Up” to make a SlideRoom account. (SlideRoom is a free service.)
- If creating a new account, open the email that was automatically sent to you and click on the activation link. Log in to your new account.
- Select "CE Pre-College Scholarships" from the Directory. Note: This form is used for both scholarship applications. (School type and indication of financial need will be used to determine eligibility and distribution of funds.)
- Complete the application form sections online and upload your personal statement and digital portfolio images. The recommendation letter will be requested from your instructor via SlideRoom -- be prepared to submit you teacher's/counselor's email address.
- Once all sections are completed, review and submit your application. Once submitted, it cannot be altered. Logout when finished. Be sure to make note of your SlideRoom login information: In addition to logging in to complete an application in-progress, you can use this account for future SlideRoom applications at PAFA and other participating institutions.
For questions, please contact PAFA’s Continuing Education Programs Office at 215-972-7632 or email@example.com.
* PAFA Philadelphia Public School Scholarship Awards are made possible by generous donor support. For information about making a gift to support CE Pre-College Scholarships, please contact the Development Department at 215-972-2077.
Registration, Policy Information and Additional Resources
Saturday Classes for High School Students are administered by PAFA's Continuing Education (CE) Programs. Click here for CE contact information, office hours, directions and other visitors' information.
Registration for Saturday Classes for High School Students is available online via links in each expanded course description or by calling the Continuing Education Office at 215-972-7632. Upon registering, students will receive an Online Registration Confirmation or Email Confirmation, which will include links to required registration information:
- Materials List(s)
- Parent-Guardian Consent Form (Google Form)
- Continuing Education Policy Guide
Please take the time to review this information. The parent/guardian consent form must be submitted to the Continuing Education office by the first class to permit class participation and attendance on field trips (if applicable).
CONTINUING EDUCATION POLICIES
Saturday High School Classes are subject to the policies and regulations of Continuing Education Programs at PAFA. Click here for complete PAFA Continuing Education Policies, including the following information about PAFA accreditation and transcript requests, as well as withdrawal, refund, and course cancellation policies.
- A Blick Art Materials store is available on the ground floor of PAFA's Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building (next to the student entrance on Lenfest Plaza) -- it is an option for any or all supply purchases, and the recommended location for purchasing hard-to-carry items such as clay or large papers/boards.
- Tableau, PAFA's full-service cafe run by STARR Events, serves fresh baked goods, hot and cold beverages, soups, salads, sandwiches and snacks.
- Vending machines for cold drinks, coffee, and snacks are available on floors 3 and 11 (Student Lounge) of the Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building.
- Enrolled CE students may take advantage of PAFA's Arcadia Fine Arts Library (located on the 5th floor of the Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building), which features a wide selection of books, periodicals, and online resources.
- For the length of their course(s), CE students receive free admission to the PAFA museum, featuring a renowned permanent collection of American art and exhibitions.
- PAFA's Office of Admissions is open to students seeking additional information about PAFA's BFA programs, including application requirements, individual portfolio reviews, school tours, or advice about applying for financial aid or scholarships. Call 215-972-7625, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.pafa.org/admissions for more information or to set up an appointment.
Additional Course Offerings
High school students ages 15-years and up may register in adult Continuing Education (CE) classes with parent/guardian permission. CE weekend courses and workshops are recommended to high school students who seek instruction in other media or techniques. Please note that figure-based courses may utilize the nude model.