High School One-Week Intensive Courses offer teens the valuable opportunity to develop and hone their skills under the guidance of stellar PAFA faculty. Open to students having completed 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades by Summer 2018. All levels welcome. Optional Residential Services available for an additional fee for courses through August 3.
Intensive courses run Monday - Friday (unless otherwise noted), 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., with a daily one-hour lunch break. Select courses may utilize nude models -- please review course descriptions. Courses may also include walking field trips to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and/or other museums/galleries.
All high school students must submit a completed Parent/Guardian Consent Form prior to the first day of class to ensure participation in classroom activities and field trips. (Forms are included with course materials lists or can be downloaded from the Registration and Policy Information, below.)
- Summer Courses
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Registration, Policy Information and Additional Resources
- Residential Services
Early registration now open! Each course will have a list of required materials, which will be posted shortly.
- PT 710EP Landscape Painting - Monday - Friday, June 25 - 29
Explore the exciting and challenging practice of depicting the outdoors!
- SC 710E Sculpture - Monday - Friday, June 25 - 29
Explore clay modeling and expand your portfolio with three-dimensional work.
- DR 710ED-1 Drawing, Section 1 - Monday - Friday, June 25 - 29
DR 710ED-2 Drawing, Section 2 - Monday - Friday, July 23 - 27
Ideal for teens who want to further their drawing skills and develop a strong body of work for their portfolios. An excellent foundation for all other studio art courses.
- DR 723EC Drawing for Comics - Monday - Friday, July 9 - 13
Learn step-by-step cartooning basics.
- PT 710E1 Painting I: Still Life & Portrait - Monday - Friday, July 9 - 13
Develop your painting skills in oil or acrylic.
- PT 710E2 Painting II: Figure Painting - Monday - Friday, July 16 - 20
Learn to paint the life model in oil or acrylic.
- DR 710EI Book Illustration - Monday - Friday, July 16 - 20
Learn the fundamentals of picture book illustration, including character and storyboard development, narrative/sequential drawing, and book design/layout.
- PT 710WP Watercolor - Monday - Friday, July 23 - 27
Explore fundamentals of watercolor painting through a variety of subject matter.
- DR 605HS Life Drawing - Monday - Friday, July 30 - August 3
Capture the gesture, proportions, and vitality of the figure model while creating valuable work for your portfolio.
- IN 660HS Photography - Monday - Friday, July 30 - August 3
Discover the expressive possibilities of digital photography, focusing on both technical and visual aspects.
- PR 710E Printmaking - Monday - Friday, August 6 - 10 (Note: No residential services available for these dates.)
Explore the exciting possibilities of line etching, screenprinting and monotype printmaking processes.
PAFA offers a limited number of full- and partial-scholarships for Pre-College One-Week Intensive Classes based on merit and need. A completed scholarship application may be submitted in lieu of the completing the online registration. SUMMER 2018 APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, June 8.
Completed Online Application via SlideRoom
Personal statement (1 – 2 paragraphs explaining why you would like to attend pre-college classes at PAFA and why you are requesting scholarship assistance)
Portfolio of 5 images. Portfolios should consist of your strongest artwork and should include drawings or paintings from direct observation (as opposed to referencing photographs). Make sure the photos of your artwork are well-lit, not blurry, and show only the artwork (you may need to crop). A smartphone camera is typically sufficient.
HOW TO APPLY: All of the above required materials are to be submitted online via SlideRoom. You will need to input your teacher's/counselor's email address for the recommendation letter. Please follow step-by-step instructions:
- Click HERE to go to SlideRoom.
- "Login" to an already existing account, or “Sign Up” to make a SlideRoom account. (SlideRoom is a free service.)
- If creating a new account, open the email that automatically will be sent to you and click on the activation link. Log into your new account.
- Select "CE Pre-College Scholarships - Summer One-Week Intensives" from the Directory. Please note that the "Summer Academy for High School Students" is a separate program, and applications submitted to the Summer Academy will not be included for consideration for awards for the One-Week Intensives.
- Complete the application form online, and upload your personal statement and digital portfolio images. The recommendation letter will be requested from your instructor via SlideRoom -- be prepared to submit your teacher's/counselor's email address.
- Once all sections are completed, review and submit your application. You can save an application in progress if you need to check or add information/images before submitting. Once submitted, it cannot be altered. Logout when finished. Be sure to make note of your SlideRoom login information: In addition to logging in to complete an application in-progress, you can use this account for future SlideRoom applications at PAFA and other participating institutions.
SCHOLARSHIP RESULTS: Scholarship results will be announced via email by June 15. Partial scholarship awards require payment of the tuition balance due by June 22 in order to confirm scholarship acceptance and enrollment in the course.
For questions, please contact Emily Owens, PAFA’s Director of Pre-College and Teacher Programs at 215-972-2040 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration, Policy Information and Additional Resources
Summer High School Intensives are run through PAFA's Continuing Education (CE) Programs. Click here for CE contact information, office hours, directions and other visitors' information.
Registration for Summer High School Intensives is available online via links in each expanded course description or by calling the Continuing Education Office at 215-972-7632. Upon registering, students will receive an Online Registration Confirmation or Email Confirmation, which will include links to required registration information:
- Materials List(s)
- Parent-Guardian Consent Form: Parent-Guardian Consent Form.pdf (usually attached to materials lists; one completed form is needed per semester and can be applied toward multiple courses)
- Continuing Education Policy Guide
Please take the time to review this information. The parent/guardian consent form must be submitted to the Continuing Education office before the first class to permit class participation and attendance on field trips.
CONTINUING EDUCATION POLICIES
Summer High School Intensives are subject to the policies and regulations of Continuing Education Programs at PAFA. Click here for complete PAFA Continuing Education Policies, including the following information about PAFA accreditation and transcript requests, as well as withdrawal, refund, and course cancellation policies.
NOTES AND RESOURCES
Students are responsible for obtaining their own course supplies. Most requested materials can be easily purchased at any local art/craft supplier or online. A Blick Art Materials store is available on the ground floor of PAFA's Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building -- it is an option for any or all supply purchases, and the recommended location for purchasing hard-to-carry items such as clay.
Lunch and Snacks
Students are responsible for their own lunch arrangements:
- Students with parent/guardian permission may leave campus to purchase food at nearby off-campus eateries.
- Students staying on campus may bring lunch to eat in PAFA's outdoor Lenfest Plaza or inside seating areas such as the 11th floor Student Lounge and 5th floor lobby (Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building).
- Tableau, PAFA's full-service café run by STARR Events, serves fresh baked goods, hot and cold beverages, soups, salads, sandwiches and snacks. Enrolled students receive a 10% discount on café food or drink purchases.
- Vending machines for cold drinks, coffee, and snacks are available on floors 3 and 11 (Student Lounge) of the Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building.
- For the length of their course(s), CE students receive free admission to the PAFA museum, featuring a renowned permanent collection of American art and exhibitions.
- Enrolled CE students may take advantage of PAFA's Arcadia Fine Arts Library (located on the 5th floor of the Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building), which features a wide selection of books, periodicals, and online resources.
Comprehensive residential services are available through Julian Krinsky Camps and Programs. For an additional $1075 per week, students can enjoy life on the beautiful University of Pennsylvania campus, and meet students in other summer programs. Amenities include:
- Air-conditioned housing
- Resident counselors
- On-campus breakfast and dinner
- Evening and weekend activities
- Internet access
Residential services are optional. This service is only available for intensives that conclude by August 3; no housing option is available after this date.
After completing enrollment for PAFA one-week intensive courses, students requiring residential services must register separately through Julian Krinsky Camps and Programs and abide by their payment schedule and refund/cancellation policy.
- Housing location: University of Pennsylvania - Quad, 3700 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 (Students will be shuttled to/from PAFA for daily classes.)
- Open to: Ages 14 - 18 / grades 9 - 12
- Available weekly sessions: June 24 - August 4 (housing not available for Printmaking, August 6 - 10)
- Session length: 7 days (Sunday - Saturday)
- Housing tuition (in addition to PAFA's class tuition): $1,125/week with weekly $50 discount available with coupon code (below) + $75 application fee
- Housing application deadline: Applicants must register no later than 4 weeks prior to their intended session start date.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Register for housing for Julian Krinsky Camps and Progams online. Select applicable camp weeks.
- A $75 application fee applies.
- On the check out page, apply a coupon code "PAFA18" to receive a discount of $50 per week.
- Please note that the Julian Krinsky Program requires as part of its application a health information form, which is in addition to, and does not replace, PAFA's Parent/Guardian Consent Form.
For more information, visit www.jkcp.com/housing or call 866-TRY-JKCP (866-879-5527).