High School One-Week Intensive Courses offer teens the valuable opportunity to develop and hone their skills under the guidance of stellar PAFA faculty. Open to students having completed 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades by Summer 2019. All levels welcome. Optional Residential Services available for an additional fee for courses through August 2.
Registration now open! View all courses or select below.
- Landscape Painting, June 24 - 28
- Drawing I:
- Session 1, July 1 - 6 (Monday - Saturday; no class on July 4)
- Session 2, July 29 - August 2
- Figure Sculpture*, July 8 - 12
- Painting I: Still Life, July 8 - 12
- Portrait Drawing and Painting, July 15 - 19
- Music Industry Illustration, July 15 - 19
- Printmaking: Etching and Monoprint, July 15 - 19
- Drawing for Comics, July 22 - 26
- Photography, July 22 - 26
- Drawing II: Life Drawing*, July 22 - 26
- Painting II: Figure Painting*, July 29 - August 2
- Watercolor, July 29 - August 2
- Cast Drawing and Painting, August 5 - 9
- Printmaking: Woodcut and Screenprinting, August 5 - 9
HOW TO REGISTER
Register for Summer High School Intensives online or by calling 215-972-7632.
Upon registering, students will receive an Online Registration Confirmation or Email Confirmation, which will include links to required registration information:
- Materials List(s) - coming soon
- Continuing Education Policy Guide - coming soon
- Parent-Guardian Information and Consent Form (Google Form, included on Materials Lists---must be submitted before the first class to permit class participation and attendance on field trips.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Friday, June 7
PAFA offers a limited number of full- and partial-scholarships for Pre-College One-Week Intensive Classes based on merit and need. The completed scholarship application will also serve as your registration form---no additional form required.
Scholarship Application Requirements:
Completed online application form via SlideRoom
Teacher’s recommendation (be prepared to submit your teacher's/counselor's email address on the SlideRoom application)
Personal statement (1 – 2 paragraphs explaining why you would like to attend pre-college classes at PAFA and why you are requesting scholarship assistance)
Portfolio of 5 digital images. Portfolios should consist of your strongest artwork and should include drawings or paintings from direct observation (as opposed to referencing photographs). Make sure the photos of your artwork are well-lit, not blurry, and show only the artwork (you may need to crop). A smartphone camera is typically sufficient.
How to Apply for Pre-College Scholarships:
- Go to SlideRoom.
- "Login" to an already existing account, or “Sign Up” to make a SlideRoom account. (SlideRoom is a free service.)
- If creating a new account, open the email that automatically will be sent to you and click on the activation link. Log into your new account.
- Select "CE Pre-College Scholarships - Summer 2019 One-Week Intensives" from the Directory (available February 28).
- Complete the application form and upload your personal statement and portfolio images.
- Once all sections are completed, review and submit your application. You can save an application in progress if you need to check or add information/images before submitting. Once submitted, it cannot be altered. Logout when finished. Be sure to make note of your SlideRoom login information: In addition to logging in to complete an application in-progress, you can use this account for future SlideRoom applications at PAFA and other participating institutions.
Scholarship results will be announced via email by June 14. Partial scholarship awards require payment of the tuition balance due by June 21 in order to confirm scholarship acceptance and enrollment in the course.
For questions, please contact Emily Owens, PAFA’s Director of Pre-College and Teacher Programs at 215-972-2040 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Residential services are optional. This service is only available for intensives that conclude by August 2; no housing option is available after this date.
Comprehensive residential services are available through Julian Krinsky Camps and Programs. For an additional $1,195 per week, students can enjoy life on the beautiful University of Pennsylvania campus, and meet students in other summer programs. Amenities include:
- Air-conditioned housing
- Resident counselors
- On-campus breakfast and dinner
- Evening and weekend activities
- Internet access
After completing enrollment for PAFA one-week intensive courses, students requiring residential services must register separately through Julian Krinsky Camps and Programs and abide by their payment schedule and refund/cancellation policy.
- Housing location: University of Pennsylvania - Quad, 3700 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 (Students will be shuttled to/from PAFA for daily classes.)
- Open to: Ages 14 - 18 / grades 9 - 12
- Available weekly sessions: June 23 - August 3 (housing not available for Cast Drawing and Painting or Printmaking: Woodcut and Screenprinting, August 5 - 9)
- Session length: 7 days (Sunday - Saturday)
- Housing tuition (in addition to PAFA's class tuition): $1,195/week (apply coupon code below to waive the $75 application fee)
- Housing application deadline: Applicants must register no later than 4 weeks prior to their intended session start date.
How to Apply for Housing:
- Register for housing for Julian Krinsky Camps and Progams online. Select applicable camp weeks.
- On the checkout page, apply a coupon code "PAFA2019" to waive the $75 application fee.
- Please note that the Julian Krinsky Program requires as part of its application a health information form, which is in addition to, and does not replace, PAFA's Parent/Guardian Information and Consent Form.
For more information about residential services, visit www.jkcp.com/housing or call 866-TRY-JKCP (866-879-5527).