2021 Admissions Highlights
Located in the heart of Center City Philadelphia, PAFA is a fine arts college with a diverse, close-knit community of 300 students and a 7:1 student-to-faculty ratio. PAFA's academic campus provides 11 floors of classrooms, studios, workshops, galleries, and performance spaces for students to learn, create, and grow.
PAFA is planning for an in-person semester in the fall. Online options will be available for students who prefer to study remotely. PAFA’s programs have rolling admissions, and we are still taking applications. Please refer any interested students to our Admissions Office.
PAFA offers the following undergraduate degrees where students can focus in Animation, Drawing, Illustration, Painting, Printmaking, and Sculpture.
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) is a four-year program that pairs a creatively focused liberal arts education with demanding studio art training in one of our six areas of study. Students graduate with the foundational skills, intellectual context, discipline and creativity needed for a lifelong pursuit of making art.
Since 1929, PAFA and the University of Pennsylvania have offered a unique Bachelor of Fine Arts program which combines PAFA’s rigorous fine arts training and a final year of liberal arts through Penn, culminating with earning a BFA degree from the University of Pennsylvania.
Both programs take advantage of our First-Year Curriculum which introduces students to key skills, concepts, and studio art disciplines that are critical to their growth as artists.
Additionally, PAFA has 1-year undergraduate Certificate programs for beginning and advanced students.
PAFA’s Master of Fine Arts (MFA) program is an interdisciplinary, two-year program. Students are not divided by discipline or area of study, but instead are encouraged to experiment and further discover their voice in various media.
The Low-Residency Master of Fine Arts (Low-Res MFA) program is designed for students who desire the community, support, and rigor of a traditional MFA, but with a more flexible structure to fit their lives and schedules.
The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate program is a one-year, full-time, 30-credit studio-based curriculum of graduate-level study in fine art. It is designed to fully immerse students in a rigorous graduate-level academic, critical, and artistic environment, where they can develop and hone their artistic practice and portfolio.
Inside Student Studios
The PAFA Difference
We’re a fine arts college and museum, but what makes PAFA truly different?
- Individual studio spaces for graduate students and upper level undergraduates.
- World class faculty who are dedicated educators, practicing artists, and scholars.
- An outstanding, student-run Visiting Artist Program.
- Opportunities to exhibit in PAFA’s Museum, which collects student work each year from the Annual Student Exhibition.
- An Ivy League education for our undergraduate students who choose to study in the PAFA/Penn program.
- Transfer friendly! PAFA makes it very easy to transfer credits into our BFA program.
- Project-based learning like PAFA’s Venture Fund, which this year granted more than $35,000 to student art projects.
- Travel scholarship opportunities. Last year PAFA awarded 11 scholarships, giving each recipient $5,000 for travel research.
- PAFA awards over $5 million in academic and competitive merit scholarships providing students with the financial support they need.
Opportunities For Prospective Students
- In-person tours of PAFA’s Center City campus with its exceptional facilities.
- Portfolio preparation assistance from our Admissions team.
- A guaranteed $10,000 minimum annual scholarship for all admitted students who remain in good academic standing.
- A $1,000 housing credit for students who live in Stiles Hall for the 2021-22 school year.
Pursue Your Artistic Vision
At PAFA, we focus our energy on making sure you have the tools and knowledge you need for creating a successful, rewarding, and lifelong career in the arts.
Picture Yourself at PAFA
The Admissions and Financial Aid staff at PAFA help you during all stages of the application and enrollment process.