PAFA/Penn BFA Application
Earn your Bachelor of Fine Arts degree while studying at two of Philadelphia’s most prestigious institutions in the coordinated PAFA-Penn BFA Program. For nearly 100 years, the University of Pennsylvania has partnered with the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts to provide students with unparalleled opportunities to pursue their artistic passions and intellectual pursuits in the Ivy League.
What you should know when it comes to applying to the PAFA/Penn BFA program:
- Students interested in the PAFA/Penn BFA should first apply and enroll at PAFA.
- Once accepted and enrolled at PAFA, students can apply to the PAFA/Penn BFA program as early as after their first year at PAFA.
- Actual enrollment in PAFA/Penn BFA courses will be contingent upon the successful completion of the first 30 credits (one full-time academic year) at PAFA.
- Students currently enrolled at PAFA should meet with the Office of Admissions to begin the application process.
To learn more about the curriculum and student experience visit our PAFA/Penn BFA program page and Penn's College of Liberal and Professional Studies PAFA/Penn BFA program page.
The Admissions Committee at the University of Pennsylvania carefully considers the applicant’s academic (non-art related) course records and generally expects students to maintain a B (3.0) average in those classes. Similar performance in current PAFA courses is expected as well.
- Depending on a student’s previous academic record, the Admissions Committee may grant Provisional Admission to students who may not completely fit the admissions criteria. In this case, students will need to complete four classes, and then be reassessed for continued enrollment eligibility.
- Students who are not admitted into the PAFA/Penn BFA program may still complete PAFA’s BFA.
University of Pennsylvania's Application Material Requirements
Please prepare the following:
- PAFA Application- Indicate on the standard application your intended program is PAFA/Penn
- Current Resume
- Application Essays
- Official High School Transcript
- PAFA Transcript- An approval form and a transcript from PAFA or a letter of acceptance to PAFA for individuals who have not yet completed their first year of classes.
- Nonrefundable application fee ($75)
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- Standardized Test Scores
To learn more about the specific application requirements visit Penn's BFA Application Requirements page.