Grounded in our collection of American art from the 18th century to the present, tours can be tailored to meet the specific needs of your classroom curriculum. These tours can be designed around art studio lessons, books read in class, and writing assignments.
Groups of students will meet with an art educator and visit the galleries of the permanent collection or special exhibition for an inquiry-based conversation about the art on view. Museum staff will highlight important themes and contexts for the artwork by soliciting student engagement and leading an interactive, collaborative tour.
High School teachers are also welcome to self-guide their group on a tour of their own design, but please make a reservation so we know you are coming and can give you a group discount.
Special Exhibition Tour:
- Chuck Close Photographs (for mature audiences) October 10, 2017- April 8, 2018
- Nick Cave: Rescue December 22, 2017- May 13, 2018
Suggested Permanent Collection topics:
- The African American Experience
- Women in Art
- Religion in Art
- Early American History, 1805 – 1876
- Social Justice in Art
- Contemporary Art and Techniques