The Archives of PAFA offer a variety of records, ephemera, photographs, artifacts, and transcripts that chronicle the institution’s rich history since its founding in 1805. Resources are available to researchers at the Archives and at PAFA’s Library in the Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building.
- Hours of operation: Thursday and Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Closed Monday-Wednesday, and Federal Holidays).
- All visits to PAFA’s Archives are by appointment only, and must be made my emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Appointments must be scheduled with at least three weeks advance notice.
- Researchers must provide a description of their research project with their appointment request.
Scope of the Archival Collection
- Minutes of the board and its committees; information on founders, board members, stockholders, and the Pennsylvania Academicians.
- Annual Reports, Charter, by laws, legal papers, and financial reports.
- Office files of the administrators, curators, deans.
- Clipping files, scrapbooks, and press releases.
- Student records; school catalogues; faculty minutes; information on faculty.
- Exhibition catalogues and records of PAFA's exhibitions from 1807 to the present.
- Photos of exhibitions, school activities, events, buildings, artists, and administrators.
- Manuscripts, correspondence and personal papers of artists, collectors, and art organizations.