183 1/2 x 31 1/4 x 44 in. (466.09 x 79.375 x 111.76 cm.)
Harrison Earl Fund and gift of the Pennsylvania Academy Women's Committee
The sculpture was carved outside his studio in Paoli. First, he sketched directly on the wood with chalk attached to a long stick. Then, chopping with an ax, he emphasized the natural twist that was present in the log. The sculpture was left on display outdoors probably for as long as eighteen years. It was brought inside for a retrospective of the artist in 1958. The Academy purchased it in 1968. "Twin Twist" has been on long term loan to the Warton Esherick Museum since 1975. 8469 lbs/cubic ft.