Note: Please email the Archives directly for questions pertaining to:
- exhibitors or exhibition prizes
- former staff or faculty members
- a painting that may have been exhibited at PAFA
- if (and when) an artist was affiliated with PAFA.
1. How do I find out about past student records?
For someone attending before 1950, contact the Archives; attending after 1950, contact the School Registrar's Office at 215.972.2017.
2. What if I have a historical question?
See the PAFA History/Timeline page or the Past Exhibitions section. Or contact the Archives.
3. How do I get information about the Historic Landmark building by Furness and Hewitt?
See the Building History page, or contact the Archives.
4. How do I obtain a general biography on an artist?
Contact our Library at email@example.com (128 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102). Or go to www.library.pafa.edu and search on the artist’s name, to see if the artist is featured in the library’s extensive clipping files.
The Archives has no published biographical reference works, but can document connections between an artist and PAFA through student records, exhibition records, etc.
5. How do I reproduce a PAFA work of art in a publication, or get a copy photograph for study?
Contact the department of Rights and Reproductions.
6. How do I determine if PAFA owns a specific work, or a work by a given artist?
Search the collection that is currently available online. If the item is not found on the website, please contact the Museum Registrar for information on the many works in the collection that are not online, by writing to: Museum Registrar, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 128 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102.
7. How do I find out about attribution of a painting?
Send your question and a photograph of the painting to the Curator at Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 128 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102.
8. How can I determine the monetary value of a work of art?
Museums will not (and cannot) do this, so you should instead consult galleries or dealers. The American Society of Appraisers, P. O. Box 17265, Washington, DC, 20041 (1-800-272-8258) has a list of appraisers in a specific geographical area. [see hyperlink: www.appraisers.org]